What is the main business topic covered in the workshop?
MCE’s 5-Day Mini-MBA for the Banking Industry prepares participants to move into more senior positions on a career track in the banking and industry. Participants are exposed to the core disciplines of general management, and how different functional disciplines work together to achieve the strategy.
What is the typical business profile of people who face these issues?
MCE’s 5-Day Mini-MBA for the Banking Industry is for managers who need to develop their understanding of their industry and how the major functions in their company work together to achieve the strategy.
It is an important step in the career development of functional experts who are, or will soon be, appointed into broader management positions: branch and region managers, business managers, marketing and channel managers, client managers, finance managers, customer service managers, middle office and back office managers, credit managers, risk managers.
It is also valuable for improving the performance and business contribution of managers and department heads who need to refresh their business knowledge.
How will I benefit from participating in this workshop?
By attending this workshop you will:
- Gain an all-around view of how banks really work, including areas you are not familiar with
- Be able to read the business environment and translate changes into competitive strategies for sustainable growth
- Understand and support strategic goals from top and senior management, be able to translate them for your area and implement them more efficiently
- Be better able to speak the language of your business, understand how senior managers in your industry think and act
- Enrich your business know-how with the best management methods and tools appropriate for your industry
- Make better business decisions and improve your contribution to the business
- Better lead implementation of strategy through people in your team and different departments
- Network and learn from with a diverse group of peers from different functions and countries
- A personalized action plan for improving upon return to your job
What will I do in this workshop?
Before the workshop you will have some reading to prepare. You will also be asked to bring your bank’s prospectus and other relevant information to use for exercises during the workshop.
Business Environment and Challenges – Day 1 am
- Mega trends in the banking industries
- Recent developments in the region
- Challenges and opportunities for retail and corporate banks in a fast changing and globalizing world
Managerial Finance and Accounting – Day 1 pm
- Financial reporting principles
- Key Performance Indicators in the banking industry
- Capital and liquidity requirements (Basel II and III)
- Understanding the bank’s financial statement
- Assets and liabilities
- Equity and bond markets, rating agencies
- Performance metrics; processes and structure
Strategy and Strategy Implementation – Day 2
- Vision, Mission and Strategy
- The Strategy House
- The nine building blocks of a business model
- Strategic decision making/ value discipline (3 models)
- Value based management / the Customer Value Proposition at the centre
- The MCE leadership model
- Strategy execution and leadership
- Change management
- Alignment of strategic tools to ensure sustainable success
Risk Management – Day 3
- Fundamentals of capital and risk management
- Impact of Basel III
- Ensuring a framework for effective risk mitigation and management
- Credit risk / key indicators and best practice in credit process and monitoring
- Operational risk management
- Fraud prevention
Strategy Execution in the Different Banking Sub-Industries – Day 4 am
- Corporate banking (structure and services)
- Commercial banking (SME)
- Retail banking (mass and affluent)
- Private banking
- Asset management/ investment banking
Marketing Excellence in Banking – Day 4 pm
- The big picture
- Segmentation, targeting and positioning
- The marketing mix
- Metrics of measurement and improvement
- Building an effective marketing infrastructure
Distribution Excellence – Day 5
- Importance of customer centricity
- The multi-channel distribution model
- How to make the branch network profitable
- Integrated call centre model
- Performance and sales management model
- Sales and service excellence